Instagram is a great social media platform app offering users different features to enjoy the platform. Being an attractive platform makes users addicted to the platform, which is time-consuming.
If you cannot reply to others directly and want to answer messages at the right time, you can use Instagram’s turn-off read recipient feature.
But how you can do it? If you don’t know how to turn off read receipts on Instagram, you can keep reading this article.
How does the read receipts feature on Instagram work?
When you receive a message on Instagram and read it, the message sender is notified that you read the message, and a ‘seen’ notification will appear under the message.
While you turn off the read receipt feature on Instagram, the seen notification will not appear below the message, and the sender cannot recognize whether you have seen the message. Based on this, you can respond to the message whenever you want.
But it is better to answer the messages first and not leave somebody without a response.
How do I turn off read receipts on Instagram?
You can utilize different methods for turning off read receipts on Instagram, including:
· Using Instagram settings
To disable read receipts on Instagram, you must follow the steps below:
- 1. Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- 2. Then, head to your profile and tap on your profile picture at the bottom right corner.
- 3. On the profile page, tap the three-line icon in the upper right corner.
- 4. Choose ‘Settings’ from the menu.
- 5. Select ‘Privacy’ in the Settings section.
- 6. Go to the Connections part; you will see ‘Read Receipts’.
- 7. Beside this icon, toggle the button to turn it off.
If you cannot use this method, you can use alternative methods mentioned below:
· Turn on airplane mode
Another method you can use for reading messages without detecting you is turning on airplane mode on your phone.
- Open the Instagram app and head to the Direct Message section.
- After heading to the inbox section, swipe down your menu on your phone to see the notification panel.
- Tap on ‘Airplane Mode’ and enable making your phone disconnect from the internet.
- After enabling airplane mode on your phone, you can open your message in the Instagram inbox.
- After reading the message, leave the inbox and turn off airplane mode.
· Turning off Instagram message notifications
Another method for turning off read receipts on Instagram is making Instagram notifications disabled.
If you press the Instagram message notification button, it will automatically send a read receipt.
To prevent unintentionally tapping on message notifications, you can deactivate your Instagram message notifications.
To do it, follow the steps below:
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap on your profile icon.
- Then tap on the menu icon in the upper right corner.
- Choose ‘Settings’ from the menu and then ‘Notifications.’
- Select ‘Messages and calls ‘followed by Notifications.
- Then turn off the ‘Message Requests’ and ‘Messages’ feature.
· Restrict the message senders.
To turn off the read receipt feature on Instagram, you can use the restrict the sender’s option:
- Go to the profile page of the user who sent you the message.
- Once you restrict the person, that person’s message will be transferred to the ‘Message Requests’ section, allowing you to read the message without being detected.
- Tap on the dots icon at the top right corner of that person’s profile.
- Then, choose the ‘Restrict’ option in the menu.
- After choosing this, go to your inbox and tap the ‘Message Requests’ icon.
- Open the message of the same person.
Turn off the activity status.
An alternative way to deactivate read receipts is by turning off the active status feature. The “Show Activity Status” button will also be turned off by turning off the “show when you are active together” option.
Consequently, both users will be unaware of each other’s activity on Instagram, and the read receipts will also be deactivated. Below is the step-by-step process to turn off your “Active” status on Instagram.
- Open the Instagram app and then head to your profile.
- Tap on the three-line icon at the upper right-hand side.
- Choose ‘Settings’ and then the ‘Privacy’ option from the menu.
- Followed by Privacy, tap on the ‘Activity Status’ icon.
- Make ‘Show Activity Status’ deactivate by tapping on the toggle button.
When you deactivate this feature, no one can see when you are online on Instagram.
View the message from the notification bar.
Instead of the mentioned methods, you can easily read the message through the notification bar.
You don’t need to open the Instagram app and view messages; you can swipe down the notification bar and read your message.
What are the benefits of using turn-off read receipts on Instagram?
There are numerous advantages to deactivating read receipts on Instagram:
- Boasting Privacy: By turning off read receipts, you can safeguard your Privacy and stop others from being aware of when you view their messages. This can be beneficial if you prefer not to respond right away or if you wish to read messages incognito.
- Decreasing pressure: When read receipts are enabled, there is typically an expectation for immediate replies. However, by disabling them, you can alleviate the pressure to respond promptly, granting yourself the freedom to reply at your convenience.
- Providing flexibility allows you to engage with messages on your terms. You can respond when you have the time and mental capacity instead of feeling obliged to reply immediately.
If you are using Instagram as a main app for communication, you may not neglect some messages or not respond to them instantly.
When you read the message in the DM section of Instagram, the sender can detect what you read. You can disable users to determine whether you see the message by turning off the read receipt option on Instagram.
Please read this article, ‘Can you turn off read receipts on Instagram?’, which is useful in improving your Privacy.
Why do you want to turn off the read receipt feature on Instagram? We would love to hear from you in the comment section.