Millions of users share daily photographs, videos, and stories on Instagram, making it one of the world’s most widely used social media platforms.
One of the most popular features of Instagram is the ability to customize the app’s appearance according to personal preferences.
With the rise of dark mode in recent years, many users have been seeking ways to enable it on their Instagram app.
This article will explore the step-by-step process of making Instagram dark mode, including the different methods available for iOS and Android devices and the web.
If you need to learn how this article can help you!
Enabling dark mode on iOS devices
It is easy to enable dark mode on an iOS device.
Here are the step-by-step instructions:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPad or iPhone.
- Click “Display & Brightness”.
- Select “Dark” from the “Appearance” menu.
- The dark mode should now be active on the device you are using.
Alternatively, you can enable dark mode using the “Control Center”.
Below are how to do so:
- On an iPhone X or later, slide down from the top right corner of the screen, or on an iPhone 8 or older, swipe upward from the bottom of the screen.
- Press the “Brightness” control while holding it down.
- Select “Dark Mode” by tapping it.
- The dark mode on your gadget should now be active.
To enable dark mode specifically for Instagram, follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your iOS device.
- Go to your profile by tapping the icon at the bottom right.
- Tap the three horizontal lines at the top right to open the menu.
- Select “Settings“.
- Tap “Theme“.
- Choose “Dark” to enable dark mode for Instagram.
Enabling Dark Mode on Android Devices
Enabling dark mode on your Android device is a simple process.
The guidelines are as follows:
- Open the “Settings” app on your Android phone or tablet.
- Click “Display”.
- Choose “Dark theme” from the “Advanced” menu.
- The dark mode should now be active on your mobile device.
An alternative is to use “Quick Settings” to enable dark mode.
Here is how:
- Swipe down to see the “Quick Settings” panel from the top of your screen.
- Click the “Dark theme” button.
- The dark mode should now be active on your mobile device.
Specifically for Instagram, complete these steps to activate dark mode:
- Launch the Instagram app for Android.
- Tap the symbol in the lower right to access your profile.
- To access the menu, tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner.
- Choose “Settings”.
- Select “Theme” and Click “Dark” to enable Instagram’s dark mode.
Enabling dark mode on Instagram web
On Instagram Web, turning on dark mode is a straightforward task. However, it is essential to note that this feature is only available through specific web browsers, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Below you can learn how to do it quickly:
- Open Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox on your computer.
- Install the “Dark Reader” extension from the browser’s respective extension store.
- Once the extension is installed, click the “Dark Reader” icon in your browser’s toolbar.
- Select “Instagram.com” from the list of websites that the extension has detected.
- The dark mode should now be enabled for Instagram Web.
Furthermore, users can adjust the dark mode’s brightness, contrast, and grayscale settings through the extension’s options menu.
This allows users to customize the appearance of dark mode to their personal preferences.
Understanding the benefits of dark mode
A dark mode is a display option that changes the traditional white background of an app or website to a darker shade.
Instagram’s dark mode enhances the app’s visual appeal and provides several practical benefits.
The most important benefit of the dark mode is that it lessens eyestrain, especially in low-light situations, by reducing the intense blue light that displays generate.
In addition, the dark mode can improve battery life on devices with OLED or AMOLED screens, as fewer pixels are needed to display darker colors.
Dark mode can also be less disruptive to others around you, making it ideal for use in public places or beds.
Also, see “How to use Instagram for Business?” and “How to Change Username on Instagram on PC/Android?” on our website.
Understanding the disadvantages of Dark Mode
While dark mode offers many benefits, there are also some potential disadvantages.
One of the main drawbacks of the dark mode is that it may only be suitable for some, as some users may find it more challenging to read text on a dark background.
Further and even more importantly, though, the dark mode may only sometimes be compatible with all apps or websites, as some may need to be optimized for this display option.
Moreover, contrary to popular belief, some studies have suggested that dark mode may not reduce eye strain or improve sleep quality.
Enabling dark mode may only sometimes extend the battery life of all devices, particularly those with LCD screens.
Considering all the benefits and drawbacks when switching your screen to dark mode would be best.
How to schedule dark mode on Instagram?
Unfortunately, Instagram does not offer a built-in feature to schedule dark mode.
However, there are third-party apps available that allow users to automate the process of switching between light and dark mode on their devices.
One such app is “Automatic Dark Theme”, available for download on the Google Play Store.
With this app, you can schedule when they want the dark mode on Instagram to be enabled or disabled on their devices, including during specific times of the day or based on their location.
Dark mode has become an increasingly popular display option for users across various devices and platforms, including Instagram.
Users can enjoy a more comfortable and visually pleasing experience by learning how to make Instagram dark mode, particularly in low-light environments.
However, it is essential to know the potential drawbacks and limitations of a dark mode on Instagram and the various methods for enabling this feature on different devices and platforms.
As we continue to rely more heavily on technology in our daily lives, the importance of optimizing our digital experiences for our health and well-being becomes increasingly apparent.
So, what steps can we take to ensure that our use of technology is healthy and sustainable in the long term?