Instagram again! It is a popular social media platform. Most people have this app on their phones and enjoy sharing their photos and videos with loved and new people.
Many updated features have been rolled out since its launch, and it is always possible to read more about Instagram to follow its improvement.
Today, among these features, we will talk about how to make your Instagram private.
Even though this is one of Instagram’s most essential features, some users still need to learn how to make their accounts private.
On Android or iOS devices
Even if you are new to Instagram, making your Instagram account private is simple, and by following several steps, you can switch your Instagram account to private.
First, watch this short clip about “How To Make Your Instagram Private”:
But let’s see how you can do it:
1. Update latest version and open your Instagram app on your phone.
2. Tap on your profile icon at the right-hand bottom of the screen.
3. You will see three lines menu in the upper right-hand corner; tap on it.
4. In the first list, you will see Setting and privacy; click on it.
5. You can find your “Account Privacy” options by scrolling halfway down the following page. Toggle this.
6. To modify the privacy settings for your Instagram account, toggle the “Private account” button to blue.
Instagram will give you the practical option to review your existing followers the first time you do this. This is in case you want to cancel access for anyone on that list.
On a desktop computer
- 1. Navigate to the Instagram website and sign into your account.
- 2. The settings option will appear when you click the profile icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- 3. Select the Privacy and Security tab from the sidebar menu on the Settings page’s left.
- 4. Put a checkmark in the box next to the Private account.
What happens when Instagram is made private?
Before deciding to make your Instagram account private, let’s realize the difference between public and private accounts.
You can choose the one that best suits your needs based on the information provided.
If you have a private account, people can find your account by searching for your username, or if you like or comment on public account posts, people can see your profile picture and access your profile.
Your posts and stories are only visible to your followers; no one other than your followers can see your story.
Unless someone among your followers takes a screenshot of your post or story and sends it to someone else.
The same rules apply to Reels. If you post a Reel as a personal account, your Reel will not appear on the Reels tab, only on your profile.
If you switch your Instagram account to the private version, your followers won’t share any changes on your page.
On the private account:
- Users must send you a request to be included in your subscriber list. If you choose to accept their request, they may have access to your account. Everyone on Instagram can send a request to a private account; it is up to you to accept.
- If you use hashtags for your posts or stories, only your followers will see your posts and stories, and your posts and stories will not be ranked in the hashtags tab.
- The same goes for the location and tags of posts and stories. The location you mentioned in your Instagram bio is visible to everyone, so keep that in mind.
- Anyone on Instagram can send DMs to private accounts; it depends on your settings whether you want to be notified or not. But DMs from those who don’t follow your account will be sorted into the requests section of your inbox. All profile information on a private Instagram account can be shared on other social media platforms. For example, all Facebook followers will see a link to an Instagram private message.
- When you go on live, only your followers can see and send a join request to your live.
- Using a private account does not help you reach your goal of gaining many followers and growing your page’s reach by using hashtags, and tags, creating reels and stories, and being on life to connect with others.
- A private Instagram account is a smart option, though, if you don’t want all Instagram users to be able to see your posts. This is especially true if a large number of people are annoying you.
Anytime you want, you can make your profile public.
On the public account:
When users follow someone in the public account, no request is sent to the account owner. You immediately become their followers.
Why is it not possible for me to make my Instagram account private?
You may not be able to set your account to private.
Here are the reasons:
- Suppose it has been a while since your Instagram app received an update. The Instagram app on your smartphone may have yet to be updated recently if you cannot set it to private using the instructions. Therefore, it is necessary to update it.
- A business account belongs to you. If you have a business account on Instagram, you will need more time to switch to a private Instagram account quickly. You must first set to a personal account, and only after that can you change your Instagram privacy settings.
Users have two ways to access the Instagram app, a social media platform. They can choose to make their account public or private.
It depends on your objectives and why you’re using the Instagram app, as you can also use it to run a business.
We described the private account characters in this article. By reading this section, you can determine whether it suits you.
Additionally, we explain how to make your Instagram private on your phone and desktop in two different sections.
Why do you prefer to keep your Instagram account private? Tell us in the comments section.