Social media platforms can be attractive and annoying depending on how people use them.
Sometimes using these platforms for more than usual can deprive the person of handling other tasks, and users find no way other than temporarily deleting their accounts.
Although deactivating an account is not the only solution, some users need help to deactivate it successfully.
If you are stuck in the same situation and don’t know how to handle this, you need to know the reason behind this, which we introduce to you in this article, and how to deactivate your account.
How to deactivate an Instagram account?
Before moving on to the reason why you cannot deactivate your Instagram account, let’s see how you can deactivate your Instagram account.
Here are the steps that you need to take to deactivate your Instagram account:
1. Visit the Instagram website and log into your account.
2. Tap on your profile from the left side menu.
3. Then tap on the Setting icon from the top of the page.
4. Choose to See More in Accounts Center.
5. Choose personal detail, followed by the Account Center page.
6. Then select Account Ownership and Control.
7. Select Deactivation or Deletion from the menu that opens. Choose the account you wish to deactivate after that.
8. Select Deactivate account on the following screen. Then click Continue by scrolling down.
9. Choose the option to deactivate your account. Your account password will then need to be entered.
10. Select one reason for deactivating your Instagram account from the list of available reasons. Next, click Continue.
11. Select the ‘Deactivate account’ button to deactivate your Instagram account officially.
Also see How To Find Trending Add yours on Instagram and How to Make Text Appear & Disappear on Instagram Reels on our website.
Why can I not delete my Instagram account?
To deactivate your account on Instagram, you can use mentioned steps above, which are straightforward.
Although making an Instagram account is simple, you may face some issues and need help to deactivate your account for a limited time.
Here are the common reasons that you may be unable to delete your Instagram account:
· App glitches
If you try to delete your Instagram account on the Android app and cannot, it may be due to app glitches.
These glitches can prevent users from accessing certain features, including the account deactivation option. If you’re experiencing this issue, wait a while and try again later.
Instagram’s technical team is usually quick to address such problems, and the issue may be resolved in due course.
You can use alternative ways to deactivate your Instagram account, such as using a web browser on a desktop or phone or an iOS Instagram app.
· Using an old version of the app
There was a problem deactivating your Instagram account, and Instagram won’t let me deactivate it; it may be because you are using the old version of the Instagram app.
Instagram regularly updates its app to introduce new features, fix bugs, and enhance Security. If you’re using an outdated version of the app, the deactivation option may not be available or not functioning properly.
To solve this issue, check for updates in your device’s app store and install the latest version of Instagram.
· You have recently deactivated your Instagram.
Instagram has some rules for deactivating an Instagram account; you cannot deactivate it whenever you want.
Due to its rule, you cannot deactivate your account more than one time in a week, and you should wait.
So, if you deactivate and restore your Instagram within 7 days, Instagram does not allow you to deactivate it again.
If it is your case, you have no choice but to wait to pass 7 days, then delete your Instagram account temporarily.
For example, if you restored your account last time at 9 pm on 7 July 2023, you should wait until 174 July 2023 at the same time.
· Log in to Instagram from a new device.
As you know, you can log in to Instagram from different devices; Instagram takes the Security of its users’ accounts seriously.
The platform has implemented various security ways to prevent unauthorized access and protect users’ privacy.
If you are trying to deactivate your account from a new device, Instagram considers this action suspicious behaviour and does not let you delete your account.
That is more than just new devices; Instagram can be suspicious about using old devices after a long time.
To fix it, you must check your email and verify your identity since Instagram asks you through email.
To do it, open the email, tap on Secure your account, and follow the instructions.
If you are suspicious about the unauthorized access, you can head to the Settings section on your Instagram app, and then Security and, followed by these, choose Login Activity.
In this section, you can see the different login activities; by tapping the ellipsis beside each option, you can choose the log-out option.
· Your Instagram account is linked to other apps.
As you know, the Instagram app can be linked with other apps such as Facebook. So, when other reasons are not your case, this one is for you, and because of that, you cannot deactivate your Instagram account.
To handle this issue, you need to remove access to other apps to your Instagram account by following these steps:
- 1. Launch the Instagram app on your device.
- 2. Head to your profile and tap on the three lines menu.
- 3. Now choose Settings and then Security. After that, choose Apps and Websites at the bottom of the screen.
- 4. In this section, you can see which apps and websites are linked to your Instagram app.
- 5. To remove this access to Instagram, tap the ‘remove’ option beside each app or website.
The bottom line
The Instagram platform offers the deactivating option to allow users to delete their accounts temporarily whenever they are fed up with this app.
But sometimes things don’t go well as you suppose, and you may face difficulties deactivating your Instagram account; there could be several reasons behind it, which we include in this article.
Hope reading this article helps you to fix your issue once you want to deactivate your Instagram account.
Tell us in the comment section if you know another reason behind this error. Why can’t I deactivate my Instagram?